Select Page



District Court Judge, Honorable Stacey A. Rentfrow
Chief Judge, Carol Montavon Bealor
Court Administrator & Magistrate, Lisa Withers
Judicial Assistant, Audra Springsteen

The District Court is sometimes called the “volume” Court since more people have contact with District Court than any of the other Courts.

District Court has jurisdiction or authority over the following:

  • Civil claims where the amount of money in controversy or the value of the goods unlawfully taken or detained is $25,000 or less
  • Most traffic violations including traffic tickets and civil infractions
  • Criminal misdemeanor offenses punishable by a fine or up to one year in jail or both
  • Landlord/tenant disputes
  • Land contract forfeitures
  • Small claims for claims up to $6,500
  • Charter and ordinance violations
  • Attachment and garnishment proceedings

In addition, all adult criminal cases begin in District Court. So the District Court is involved with all felony cases through the preliminary examination and until the entry of an order binding a Defendant over to the Circuit Court. District Court handles initial arraignments for all adult criminal cases including setting bail and accepting bonds.

Judge Rentfrow hears District Court cases. District Court is also assisted by three Magistrates.

Judge Rentfrow also presides over Cass County’s Adult Treatment Court (ATC) & Sobriety Court. Adult Treatment Court & Sobriety Court serves adult defendants who have both an alcohol or drug problem and a criminal case.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer: This website is intended to provide you with general information and forms regarding probate proceedings. The Courts’ staff are prohibited by law from providing legal advice and assistance in completing forms. The information, forms, and instructions are intended to provide general information concerning filing procedures and may be useful as a guide. This is the only assistance that can be provided by the court’s staff. If, after reviewing this information, you have any questions or need assistance in completing the forms consider contacting an attorney for assistance.