Select Page


Your landlord must have a court order to legally evict you. Once a judge signs an eviction order, only a sheriff or court bailiff can physically remove you or your property from the home.

Your landlord must give you notice of the eviction. The amount of notice your landlord must give you before filing an eviction action in court depends on the reason for the eviction.

You can be evicted for doing something that violates your lease or the law, such as:

  • not paying your rent
  • creating a serious and continuing health hazard in or near your home
  • causing extensive damage to your home or property
  • using the home for illegal drug activity
  • moving into the property without the owner’s permission
  • staying in the property without the owner’s permission

You could also be evicted if:

  • the lease ends
  • you have no lease

It is always best to have an attorney assist you with a legal matter. If you choose to represent yourself, you can find resources at Michigan Legal Help.

You can read Michigan Legal Help’s article: Eviction: What Is It and How Does it Start? to learn more about the eviction process in Michigan.

Special rules apply to evictions from subsidized housing, sometimes called Section 8 Housing or Public Housing. Michigan Legal Help has an Eviction from Subsidized Housing Toolkit.

If you need help asking your landlord to make repairs, you may wish to take a look at Michigan Legal Help’s Toolkit about repairs.

SCAO has approved forms for Landlord-Tenant matters which you can find at: SCAO Approved Landlord-Tenant Court Forms.


LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer: This website is intended to provide you with general information and forms regarding probate proceedings. The Courts’ staff are prohibited by law from providing legal advice and assistance in completing forms. The information, forms, and instructions are intended to provide general information concerning filing procedures and may be useful as a guide. This is the only assistance that can be provided by the court’s staff. If, after reviewing this information, you have any questions or need assistance in completing the forms consider contacting an attorney for assistance.