PETITION AND ORDER TO OPEN SAFE DEPOSIT BOX
The Court may order the opening of a safe deposit box upon the filing of a Petition and Order to Open Safe Deposit Box to Locate Will or Burial Deed (Form PC551) if:
- It appears that the Safe Deposit Box may contain the decedent’s Last Will and Testament or deed to a burial plot.
- An interested person files with the Court the Petition and Order to Open Safe Deposit Box to Locate Will and/or Burial Deed (Form PC551). The court cost for the filing of the Petition and Order to Open Safe Deposit Box is $21.00.
- An officer or other authorized employee of the financial institution where the box is located is present when the box is opened; and
- If an alleged Last Will and Testament or deed to a burial plot is found in the box, the person named in the order must deliver the documents to the probate register or deputy register; and
- Within seven (7) days, the Safe Deposit Certificate and Receipt (Form PC552) must be presented to the Probate Court. This form indicates whether or not a Last Will and Testament and/or deed to a burial plot were found and that no other items were removed from the Safe Deposit Box.